Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Random Thoughts from Verona.


     1)    Dental floss cost me € 4.50, that is like $5.60. The same amount costs much less in the states.

2)    Not everything costs more, and it all depends on where you get it, going to the outskirts of town makes things much much cheaper.
3)    Nuns are pretty awesome and we don’t treat them nearly well enough, the sisters here are pretty spectacular.
4)    Verona is extremely beautiful, now that I know how to get in an out of the town center.
5)    When one is going into the town center, one should remember to put batteries into one’s camera.
6)    Its hard to believe I have been here a week, it seems much shorter.
7)    No matter how beastly hot it is, I can find Gatorade nowhere.
8)    I was sitting in class today learning how to say we are afraid of something, when asked what they were afraid of, my classmates said “Tigers” and “Lions” one even said “An Elephant stampede” Then I realized that they were all from Africa and India and had, in fact, encountered these things.
9)    I love Pasta, but wow people, just wow.
10) I played basketball today with a bunch of people from Africa and India. I was picked first because I am American. In about three minutes the team captain realized his mistake.
11) Juliet’s balcony is easily seen from the street, unless you are taking pictures I can’t imagine why you would pay to get into the courtyard. That said, how Romeo could have gotten himself in there past the gate and over the three story walls is beyond me. (and yes I know its just a scene from a play, and that that house likely has nothing to do with it.)
12) I like that Verona is both cooler and quieter than Rome, I also love the air conditioning in my room. I have it set at 20 Celsius, though the cleaning lady keeps turning it back up to 24 (which is like 75, and is reasonable enough)
13)  I ate dinner with some guys who were speaking a Slavic language last night (rather than the Italian that we are all supposed to be speaking) I asked an Oblate of Mary Immaculate that I was sitting with f they were Russian, he told me they were, I asked them where they were from in Russia (In Italian of course) they all stared me down and told me they were from Poland…. Oops..
14) I am beginning to really like it here. 



A Few new ones...


-       I realized that my family is essentially from the West Virginia of Italy while watching TV tonight. I will be much more careful about making redneck jokes in the future. (there you have it John Brown, Kevin Dyer, Carrie McGrath, Megan James, and anyone else I would consider to be from “the South outside of New Orleans”)
-       I still want to go down to Calabria to see where my great grandparents were born, and I am still proud of my heritage, particularly if it is as bad as northern Italians say it is my grand father and mother are proof that there really is an American dream.
-       Went to a pizzeria in the piazza of a little Italian village with a nun from Burma, an Oblate of Mary Immaculate from Texas, a white father from Nigeria, and a seminarian from Cameroon who recounted his tale of staving off a lion.
-       I was shocked by how similar an Itaian supermarket is to an American one, found Powerade, it didn’t taste the same.
-       Can’t find Old Spice in Italy, they do have Gillette though. Something nice about switching to a brand with it’s “World Shaving Headquarters’ in South Boston.
-       6 words. Turandot in an ancient Roman Arena. Nessun Dorma… Nessun Dorma.
           -      I plan to go read Romeo and Juliet at a sidewalk café outside of Juliet’s house, what are you doing with your Saturday afternoon?

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am proud that, in spite of the exorbitant price tag, you have chosen to keep the hygiene standard high.

Also, when I visit, I will try and win back America's good basketball reputation. That is, if you haven't already completely destroyed it beyond repair.

Finally, I'm glad that you are starting to like it...but Boston is not the same without you! I can't believe you left me alone with Westie and your brother...what did I ever do to youuu ;-)

Love you brother!!!